Monday, December 5, 2011

Buried Treasure


Sometime last week Steph and I set out to follow the treasure map left to us by Gavin, one of our predecessors (who just got engaged, congrats!). We kept trying to go to the spot during high tide which made it difficult, but we finally managed to be at the site during low tide and set off to find the treasure.


After awhile of pacing back and forth on the beach we found it! They did a good job of hiding the stuff, but unfortunately they underestimated how high the tide could get and everything in the bags was soaked! 

 We got it all out of the bags and dried out. The bags included these hilarious Winona Rider postcards, no idea where the guys found these. My bag had a DVD of a movie called "The Spanish Apartment". It seems like a great movie, but half way through my computer couldn't read the disc, so I'll have to finish watching this when I get back to the states.

Gavin also knows how much I hate the "Family Circus" comics that you see in newspapers everywhere. I think they are the lamest comic strip ever written. However, if you go back and read the ones from 70's they're actually not that bad.

Anyway, Gavin included this article about a petition to remove the Family Circus from a paper in St. Lious, which I find to be hilarious. Thanks for thinking of us Gavin!

Another interesting experience I had awhile back was to try something called Dragon Fruit. This weird looking fruit is native in North America, but I had never heard of it before. I ate some on the plane from Hong Kong to Singapore and really liked it, and then found out they had it here at the local grocery store. I find that it tastes a lot like a melon, maybe like honeydew, but also is somewhat citrusy. 


We got a wind surfing lesson the other day from some air fore guys even though we couldn't go out on the water. It looks like so much fun and I really hope we get to try it out before we leave. It also seems like it might be pretty difficult to learn when you first start out. 


Here's me messing around with one of the bigger sails. It was really hard to control! The other guys said they typically have to use a special harness when using the sails like this.



Our post-DYNAMO travel plans are looking a little unsure. There has been a lot of uncertainty for all the flights coming and going on the island throughout the whole DYNAMO project, however there seems to be more hangups than usual in flight plans. Our supervisor, Heather, was hoping to leave today but found out that she is not scheduled to fly out for another 5 days. There's no guarantee that she'll make it on that flight though, and if she doesn't make that one she'll have to wait until we're scheduled to leave on Dec. 15th.

Our current plans are to fly to Bali after we get to singapore. Our flights are non-refundable so if we miss them we might just be stuck in singapore. This will be really bad for Steph because she was planning on flying straight out of Bali to the US without a connection in Singapore. She is also leaving much earlier than me to go spend xmas with her family. I have more flexibility since I have to come back to Singapore to get my flight back to the states, but it would still be a bummer to miss out on Bali. I recently learned about a cheap ferry to Sumatra from Singapore that might be a good alternative destination. Our other idea is to take the train up to Kuala Lumpur. If you have suggestions of other places to see that aren't too far from Singapore please let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Glad the treasure was still somewhat enjoyed.. and thanks for the congrats! Also, that dude teaching you windsurfing, Bryant, was like THE reason that everything suddenly clicked for me and I was actually able to enjoy windsurfing about halfway through our time there. Good guy.
    Try not to think about the anxiety of flying out too much.. it'll work out in the end. We'll be crossing our fingers

    ReplyDelete